December 1, 2011

About Geneva


This is me!  I'm a good-looking lady!

My name is Geneva and I am the proud 23-year-old mother of Coyote Rain, born 11/3/11 at 41 weeks and 5 days gestation. I am currently a SAHM but will be returning to Boise State University full-time in the spring. I am a sophomore there with a major in Political Science, a minor in Philosophy and a dream of one day becoming a lawyer. 

I married Coyote's daddy, Ben on 11/11/11, the exact date we had been planning since we got engaged almost two and a half years ago. We are both enjoying our new roles as parents and spouses, though I must admit, hearing the word “wife” applied to me is still very odd.

Ben and I met in Alcoholics Anonymous, where I currently have four years of sobriety from drugs and alcohol. I am also in recovery from bulimia and anorexia, though it is much more difficult for me to quantify the amount of time I have accumulated; I lived in the disease for five years, was in and out of recovery for three years and truly believe that pregnancy gave me a new set of eyes to view my body. I am now the healthiest I have ever been, both physically and mentally, and I am a big advocate of therapy and throwing away the bathroom scale. Teaching positive body image has become a passion project of mine. 

This is my husband!  He has very good body image.
Motherhood is the craziest job I've ever volunteered for. (Upon reading this, Ben scoffed.  "Volunteered for?" he said. "That should say 'begged for!'") I spent nine (and a half) months living in the library and the second my son was placed in my arms, I felt as though I hadn't prepared at all. I have learned a ton about "alternative" parenting techniques, however, and I do a lot of things differently than other moms I know. 

This is Coyote.  He is cute and has a big belly. Also: check out my adorable hat!

I am an attachment mama; I practice babywearing, exclusive breastfeeding (and plan on extended breastfeeding; allowing Coyote to wean on his time schedule, not mine), and co-sleeping. I also cloth diaper, practice part-time elimination communication (infant potty training), baby-led weaning, am anti-RIC and vax-free. Our household only has battery-free-toys and we will not be allowing television until after the age of two. 

These are all things that I am excited about and passionate about. I am an avid book reader and am always happy to provide empirical evidence to back up the parenting techniques we have settled on as a family. I often come off strongly to those who make different parenting decisions, which is partly because it is difficult to show demeanor through a text-based interface and partly because I avidly believe that my decisions are the very best for my family, though I certainly do not claim to know what is best for anybody else nor do I pass judgement on other families. I am simply doing my best to raise the happiest and healthiest child that I can. 


Happy, water-loving boy! And Coyote, too!!
(Ben would like me to note that he DOES own clothes, I just happened to pick photos of him topless.  Because he's very cute topless.)

Silly baby making faces with Mama.

1 comment:

Xza Louise said...

I just grew more in love with your family!

Post a Comment